In today’s rapidly evolving security landscape of unconventional battlefields and irregular warfare, our soldiers need to quickly locate and neutralize mortar and rocket threats. The U.S. military’s objectives call for custom engineered systems to take the lead in providing solutions that can be rapidly developed and deployed. These systems need to be both accurate and reliable to keep our troops safe and give them a technological advantage that is both flexible and field proven.
Trust Automation designed and currently manufactures the lift, level, and rotate technology for the AN/TPQ-53 (Q-53) produced by Lockheed Martin Corporation. This mobile platform’s counterfire target acquisition radar relies on the rugged and high tech vehicle automation system to provide soldiers with enhanced 360-degree protection from indirect fire. The AN/TPQ-53 is a new generation radar system with the flexibility to adapt to harsh environments and meet a broad scope of mission requirements. Trust Automation has been providing industry leading power density, accuracy, and reliability for the electro-mechanical control systems needed for the next generation of DoD military equipment including the AN/TPQ-53 since 2008. Trust Automation has since been awarded sub-system design contracts for all of Lockheed Martin’s ground based radar platforms.
The AN/TPQ-53 system has been globally deployed and has proven its capabilities in harsh environments such as monsoonal rain, sand storms, subzero to extreme hot desert conditions, as well as the shock and vibration exposure common to in-theatre deployment.
Trust’s team of engineers design and develop custom solutions for Military, Medical, Industrial, and Power applications involving high performance motors, controllers, power generation, power storage solutions, power conversions and drives, system assemblies, and servo drives to respond to needs for DoD, IARPA, DARPA and for all branches of the U.S. military.
Trust’s motion control solutions also contributed to the success of the Medium Extended Air Defense System (MEADS) FT-2 Flight Test. Trust Automation designed and developed critical motion control elements to the radar platform. During a demonstration of its 360-degree Air and Missile Defense (AMD) capabilities, the MEADS System intercepted and destroyed two simultaneous targets attacking from opposite directions. All system elements worked as planned. MEADS is a next-generation, ground mobile AMD system that incorporates 360-degree radars, netted and distributed battle management, easily transportable launchers and the hit-to-kill PAC-3 MSE Missile. Video footage can be seen at http://www.dvidshub.net/video/306798/meads-ft-2-missile-test#.VFLL47l0yUk.
Aurora Flight Sciences along with partners ThinGap and Trust Automation answered the need for safe, high power density electric lift fans, with specific interest in vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) air vehicle applications. The team’s unique approach utilized a DC brushless ring motor, high switching rate controller, and a ducted fan design. The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) funded contract produced a 32-inch diameter ducted fan powered by a 70kW electric motor capable of producing over 430 pounds of thrust. Trust Automation’s controller design leveraged high switching rates and Field Oriented Control to effectively manage the low inductance propulsion system. Continued development is planned to reduce weight and increase system efficiency as potential platform specific applications are pursued. This ducted electric lift technology has applications to vertical take-off and landing vehicles, helicopter tail rotors, and aircraft propulsion.
EMP and nuclear events are an ongoing concern for electronic systems. Trust developed a high speed radiation hardened fan drive/controller capable of high shock and vibration conditions for missile silo ventilation systems.
UAV platforms have become increasingly important for both situational awareness and remote enforcement. However, the noise signature has been a challenge. Trust Automation successfully participated in the IARPA funded Great Horned Owl project to develop high efficiency systems converting fuel to electricity and electricity to propulsion with the goal of producing near silent flight capabilities. In addition, Trust Automation is responding to the needs of our military for reliable and efficient energy storage by developing Agile Energy Management System™ (AEMS™). This highly flexible battery management system can be customized for land, air or marine applications. With a multitude of configurations, unmanned vehicles can be equipped to perform for extended periods while the soldier is safely operating the system from a remote location.
Field Service Engineering is provided globally to customers that require highly trained and experienced “boots on the ground” support for motion control or energy management systems.
Trust Automation has a long resume of successful defense contracts including:
- AN/TPQ-53 for US Army subcontracted under Lockheed Martin Corp.
- Multi-Mission Launcher (MML) / Indirect Fire Protection Capability (IFPC) for US Army at AMRDEC
- MEADS FT-2 Missile Test for US Army subcontracted to MEADS (JV Lockheed Martin and MBDA in Italy and Germany)
- Aurora Flight Sciences
- Paladin Mobile Howitzer: for US Army subcontracted under Xcelaero Corp. to DRS Technolgoies to BAE Systems
- Future Combat Systems (FCS) / Mobile Howitzer Fan
- Envinronmental Control System (ECS) A/M MAF Emergency Fan
- 3DELRR Mission & Program for US Airforce
- Great Horned Owl (GHO) for IARPA, partnered with Xcelaero and Aerojet
- Ongoing success with IARPA and DARPA programs
Trust Automation is an AS9100 certified Women – Owned Small Business (WOSB) bringing high quality and reliability to motion control and energy management systems for the defense market. Well versed in Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), Trust can offer the U.S. Army COTS or full custom designed and engineered solutions.
- Weapon Systems
- Improvements to high-speed/high-accuracy munition delivery systems from small caliber to very large systems
- High Energy Discharge sub-system solutions for electric weapons
- Custom pan/tilt/elevation solutions for large scale launch platforms (e.g. Multi-Mission Launcher, aka MML) for fire control
- Precision, heavy-duty, rotate/elevate solutions for Counterfire Radar systems, or other detection platforms requiring precise motion control as an enabling technology for weapon systems
- Enabling Technologies
- We can design/adapt high voltage Battery Management Systems for unmanned vehicles (Air, Marine, Ground)
- We offer electric motor/drive solutions with extremely low noise signatures (electrical or acoustic) for weapons detection, weapon delivery or stealth monitoring
- We will design complete power management solutions for hybrid power applications (internal combustion combined with battery systems)
- We will design custom UAV launch and capture solutions for payload delivery
- We offer complete mechanical prototype & fabrication facilities (onsite)